Join us for a talk that explores the deep intersections of design, art, and technology, drawing from Ge Wang’s new book: Artful Design: Technology in Search of the Sublime (A MUSICOMIC MANIFESTO) -- a design manifesto, in comic book form, about how we shape technology in today's world, and how technology shapes us.
The world we inhabit, increasingly, is the world we engineer. In this presentation, we examine the nature, purpose, and meaning of design in human life, and ask the fundamental questions of what design is, why we (ought to) design beauty into useful things, and the ways in which the fashioning of technology reflects who we are. Using computer music as a vehicle, we will break down the design of music programming languages, instruments for laptop orchestras, toy-like apps like Ocarina for the iPhone, and games. This is a meditation on design for engineers, tool-builders, and anyone who has ever been curious (excited, or concerned) about the shaping of technology.
Learn more: Artful Design: Technology in Search of the Sublime
We are pleased to have Books Inc. onsite selling copies of Artful Design: Technology in Search of the Sublime before and after the program.
Friday Nights @CHM is offering you a whole new way to experience the Computer History Museum.
CHM is now open after hours, from 5 to 9 p.m., and we're hosting the techiest block party in Silicon Valley, featuring innovative cuisine from CateredToo, patio festivities at our Cloud Bistro beer garden, and special live programming on select Fridays for visitors of all ages.
Cost: FREE, but please register at www.computerhistory.org/events
1401 North Shoreline Blvd
Mountain View, CA 94043
More Event Ideas
- More Education Events
- Soil, the soul of your garden: The Hows and Whys of Building Healthy Soil at Elizabeth F. Gamble Garden CenterSaturday, Nov 10, 9:30 AM
- Tuesday, Oct 23, 7:00 PM
- Monday, Nov 26, 9:00 AM
- More Events at Computer History Museum
- Saturday, Nov 10, 5:30 PM
- Tuesday, Apr 9, 8:00 AM
- Tuesday, Oct 23, 8:00 AM
- More Events on October 26, 2018
- CONCERT BAND and SOLDIERS’ CHORUS of The U.S. Army Field Band at Napa Valley Performing Arts Center at Lincoln TheaterFriday, Oct 26, 7:00 PM
- Building a Culture of Civility at Work - Promoting Respect, Trust and Integrity to Enhance Performance, Productivity at Online EventFriday, Oct 26, 10:00 AM
- Friday, Oct 26, 9:00 AM